The Capital District Veterinary Medical Society began as a study group around 1948 and Dr. Jack Mindell served as the first president. The group’s original purpose was to promote ethical and cordial professional relationships among veterinarians and improve public relations.
By 1955, the membership had reached the limit set by the founders and had attracted veterinarians from the surrounding areas. Surgical courses were taught at the Albany Medical College by Dr. Ellis P. Leonard of Cornell and a course in dermatology was conducted at the Linton High School in Schenectady by Dr. Frank Kral of the University of Pennsylvania.
In later years, Dr. John Bentinck-Smith of Cornell gave courses in clinical pathology and Dr. Robert Leighton of the Animal Medical Center of New York instructed in fracture repair. In November of 1976, the regional officially became the Capital District Veterinary Medical Society encompassing the northern part of the Hudson Valley Veterinary Medical Society.
Today the CDVMS serves 11 counties and has nearly 230 members.